• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What do i need???

flyingsquirrel947

Greenlighter
Okay so here's the problem, I get really nervous ALL the time. No matter what I'm doing there's always this sort of anxiety that never goes away. Its really hurting my social life and I heard there's pills that can help with this. I tried one of my friends adderalls and it worked great, I could actually confront people and talk to them. Do you think adderall is the pill I need?

Im not really sure where this belongs ?

I know its not in the PR testing section - I'll move this over to the healthy living section. Maybe there somebody can address your anxiety for you.

Bear

adderall may help make you more self-confident for a little while but the comedown can leave you more anxious and feeling like crap. i would not recommend that. benzos like xanax help with anxiety but they're short-term fixes and if you're not really careful you'll get addicted. you don't want to have to pop tons of pills just to feel human and trying to get off those will bring on even more anxiety. if you can be careful and sparing with them they do help--klonopin is long-acting so you can take less than with xanax--but it's pretty difficult to limit yourself. not trying to scare you but coming off benzos can be really nasty.

have you ever talked to a dr about your anxiety? i've never taken paxil but i know people who do and though they say it doesn't do a ton, i'd like to see how they function without it. exercise helps. the boring stuff that you don't want to hear, like taking care of yourself, probably works best in the long run. see a doc.

The emotions you describe would typically be labeled as "generalized anxiety". Most psychiatrists prescribe benzos or SSRIs for this, definitely not adderall. I can see how adderall could be used however. In fact, back when it first came to market it was prescribed for depression, weight loss, and whatever else doctors decided to experiment with.

As lilfire said, these drugs might cause long term problems. They can all be very addictive and require higher and higher doses the longer you use them. Some psychiatrists counter that they can be used short term and cause permanent changes to the brain, thusly curing the problem after use of the drugs is discontinued.

What is your diet and activity level like? How old are you? Do you suffer from other "psychiatric issues"?

I highly recommend yoga to anyone for everything. It can make me feel euphoric.

Adderall or other stimulants are definitely not the answer for anxiety, and I doubt any psychiatrist would actually prescribe them for such a condition.

I'm similar to you and have tried several approaches. It seems that it's good to deal with the issue from all angles, as there can be several things that contribute to anxiety. Here are some things that have helped for me:

-Therapy: Getting my issues out and changing my perspective on a lot of things.
-Meditation: Makes me more present in the moment and helps with being able to experience negative emotions without getting overwhelmed
-Exercise: Instant de-stressor. Cardio + music is extremely euphoric, but my favorite exercise is weight lifting.
-Medication: I'm currently taking Inderol daily and Xanax as needed. I only started this recently because I felt that the anxiety got to the point that I couldn't realistically deal with it using only other methods.

So yeah, adderall is a no-no. I've abused amphetamines in the past to deal with stress, feel more confident around people, etc. Even if it makes you feel better at first it will make your anxiety levels skyrocket.

i personally recomend avoiding meds, yes they are considered a quick fix and do help alot but when you eventually attempt the wein off of the meds the problem may still exsist.

consult a psychologist and consider trying CBT (cognative behaviour therapy) this helps change the thought process which causes anxiety.
CBT with a monitered dose of meds will see you better alot quicker than meds alone.

My CBT therapist and I are trying ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy) for my anxiety and it is revolutionizing my life.

Do NOTget involved with benzos. Been on them 11 years, and they have destroyed my natural abilities to cope with just about anything.

~ vaya

I know exactly how you feel and let me tell you meds do help A LOT at times. Like everyone else has stated already it's only a quick fix. But what help me a lot was my diet make sure your eating healthy natural foods and getting all your daily Vitamin requirements such as Magnesium and vitamin D and calcium and such. It helps a lot believe it or not same with exercise..... like you may think your eating a well balanced and healthy diet and you get enough physical activity but you probably don't.